Celebrate National Nutrition Month in March by enjoying the flavors of fresh, healthy food with these dietitian-inspired recipes! The dishes were created by Cathlyn Berning, RD, LDN, who has a culinary degree and is a lead in Sarasota Memorial’s Food & Nutrition Services and a manager of the hospital’s 1700 South restaurant.
Sesame Encrusted Tuna with Soba Noodles in a Ginger-Infused Tea
Makes 4 Servings
8oz Soba noodles
4 (4-5 oz each) Tuna steaks – wild caught preferably
1/3 Cup Black/white sesame seeds
1 ½ Tbsp olive oil – cold pressed preferably
4 each Carrots, cut into 1 ½ by ¼ inch sticks
1 ¼ Cup Edamame – unshelled
½ lb Shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced thin
2 each Bell peppers
4 each Tea bag
1 Cup Water
½ piece Ginger, fresh, peeled, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp Honey
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil for the soba noodles.
- Steep tea in a pot of hot water. Add the ginger and honey to infuse the tea for the broth.
- Coat the tuna in the black and white sesame seeds. In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over med-high heat. Add the fish and quickly sear on both sides, about 1 minute on each side.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over med-high heat. Add carrots to skillet and sauté, stirring until just tender. Add bell peppers, mushrooms, edamame and scallions and continue to stir constantly until vegetables are tender.
- Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente. Drain noodles in a colander.
- Divide broth between 4 bowls, add the noodles, sautéed vegetables, and seared tuna.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 440 calories, 14g Fat, 50mg Cholesterol, 284mg Sodium, 35g Carbohydrates, 9g Fiber, 40g Protein
Red Curry & Peanut Noodle Bowl
Makes 4 Servings
¾ pound Whole-wheat spaghetti
1 Carrot, grated
½ small Cucumber, de-seeded, grated
1 cup Bean sprouts
2 each Scallions, sliced
6 Tbsp. Smooth, All Natural Peanut Butter
1 ½ Tbsp Fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp Red Curry paste
1/3 cup Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
¼ cup Cilantro leaves
1/4 cup Peanuts unsalted, coarsely chopped
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil for the whole-wheat spaghetti. Cook noodles in boiling water until al dente. Drain noodles in a colander and rinse with cold water until cooled.
- Prepare vegetables to toss with the noodles.
- In a food processor, mix the peanut butter, lime juice, red curry paste, low-sodium veggie broth and cilantro. Blend until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Toss the noodles, vegetables, and sauce in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Separate into four bowls and garnish with the chopped peanuts.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 480 calories, 22g Fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 371mg Sodium, 29g Carbohydrates, 8g Fiber, 21g Protein